This unit describes the skills and knowledge required to provide a first aid response to a casualty. The unit applies to all workers who may be required to provide a first aid response in a range of situations, including community and workplace settings.
Specific licensing /regulatory requirements relating to this competency, including requirements for refresher training should be obtained from the relevant national/state/territory Work Health and Safety Regulatory Authorities.
Assessment Conditions Skills must be demonstrated working individually in an environment that provides realistic in-depth, industry-validated scenarios and simulations to assess candidates’ skills and knowledge. Assessment resources must include:
- adult and infant resuscitation manikins in line with ARC Guidelines for the purpose of assessment of CPR procedures
- adrenaline auto-injector training device
- AED training device
- placebo bronchodilator and spacer device
- roller bandages
- triangular bandages
- workplace First Aid kit
- workplace injury, trauma and/or illness record, or other appropriate workplace incident report form for written reports
- wound dressings
- Simulated assessment environments must simulate the real-life working environment where these skills and knowledge would be performed, with all the relevant equipment and resources of that working environment.